What Does Being ABFPRS-Certified Mean?
The certificate issued by the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ABFPRS) is a mark of quality and credibility for a plastic surgeon. If a plastic surgeon is ABFPRS-certified, then:
- The plastic surgeon subscribes to the high standards of practice and the Code of Ethics of ABFPRS and is properly licensed.
- They have passed the ABFPRS two-day examination.
- They have completed the entire tenure of an approved residency in at least one of the two surgical specialties that include the minimum prescribed training for all kinds of facial plastic surgery (these specialties typically being head-and-neck surgery/otolaryngology and plastic surgery).
- They are double boarded, and one of these certifications has come from either the American Board of Medical Specialties or The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons in Canada.
- They possess an acceptable record of no less than two years of clinical experience (featuring operative reports of at least 100 facial plastic surgeries), and this record has been submitted for validation by peer review.
Do ABFPRS-Certified Doctors Provide Patient Discounts?
ABFPRS is a certifying board and does not track or endorse discounts of any kind from its diplomates. Additionally, it is in the best interest of patients to seek the most able surgeon rather than the cheapest one.
ABFPRS is aware that some surgeons may offer pro bono treatment, but the organization cannot help anyone in discovering such surgeons, because it does not keep records of these services.
Does the ABFPRS Offer Patients Education Regarding Facial Procedures?
The ABFPRS provides online access to informative literature about various facial plastic surgery procedures, provided that they are recognized by the USFDA or have been legally commercialized as a valid treatment.
What Is the Best Way to Find an ABFPRS-Certified Doctor?
Simply visit the official website of ABFPRS to peruse an official list of ABFPRS-certified doctors. One can also hear this list over the phone, request it by mail, or ask for it during a personal visit to the ABFPRS office on St. Asaph St. in Alexandria, Virginia.
I’m Choosing a Surgeon for a Procedure. Is ABFPRS Certification the Only Thing to Consider?
ABFPRS is a well-known and respected certifying body, and surgeons who hold an ABFPRS certificate are trusted as reliable medical practitioners by the medical community and their patients. There are also many other factors to be considered when choosing a surgeon, including testimonials from past patients, a history of successful procedures, and experience performing the specific procedure you are interested in.
Are Surgeons Who Are Certified by Boards Other Than the ABFPRS Still Qualified for Facial Plastic Surgeries?
Surgeons who are certified by other boards are also actively practicing, and there are surgeons who have multiple certifications from multiple organizations, including ABFPRS. If a prospective surgeon has a certification from another board, ask them more about what the requirements were for that certification. Being informed is the best way to ensure that you choose the right surgeon for the job.